When dining out at restaurants, your New Year’s resolution doesn’t have to be thrown by the wayside.
Q: How Can I Stick to My New Year’s Resolutions and Still Eat Out at Restaurants?
The New Year can mean a fresh start on achieving New Year’s resolutions and long-term health goals. If your New Year’s resolutions include weight loss and nutrition-related goals, eating out at restaurants doesn’t have to be thrown by the wayside to achieve them. With a few expert tips like these and smart choices along the way you can enjoy dining out and still accomplish your New Year’s resolutions:
- Be aware of portion sizes. Even a healthy meal can contribute to weight gain if portion sizes are too big. Share entrées with friends or box up half your meal for later.
- Get creative with your meal. Order appetizers and a side salad instead of a full entrée.
- Order meals that include fruits and vegetables as a major component.
- Choose vegetables as side dishes when given the choice. Request them steamed without the addition of butter, oil or cream sauce to cut down on calories and fat.
- Watch for hidden calories in beverages. One of the easiest ways to eliminate extra calories when dining out is to stick with water or unsweetened tea.