Many fad diets come and go, and the apple cider vinegar diet happens to be a diet that has been around for a while. What most people think of when we talk about the apple cider vinegar diet is consuming 1-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before each meal in the hopes of losing weight.
By Rachel Rothman, M.S., R.D.
Q: “My friend told me I could lose weight on the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet. How can I do this while dining out?”
A: Many fad diets come and go, and the apple cider vinegar diet happens to be a diet that has been around for a while. What most people think of when we talk about the apple cider vinegar diet is consuming 1-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before each meal in the hopes of losing weight. Those who are proponents of the diet say that consuming the apple cider vinegar helps you to feel full and therefore will assist you with eating less at a meal. However, there is not much scientific evidence that this type of diet actually works. Although apple cider vinegar does have many uses, weight loss has not been shown to be one of them. More studies are needed before we know if there are health benefits from apple cider vinegar.
If you are interested in losing weight (or even just maintaining weight) when dining out, we recommend eating a balanced plate. This means sensible portion sizes and a meal that includes fruits and vegetables, lean protein and whole grains. Here are some more tips to use when eating out that can help with weight loss:
- Look for smaller portions. Mix and match a few smaller a la carte items so you can create a portion that’s right for you.
- Fill half your plate with fruit and veggies (these will help fill you up, not out).
- Always ask the server how the menu item is prepared and what comes with it.
- Request less oil, butter, cheese, etc., as well as sauce, dressing, etc., on the side, so that you can control how much is consumed.
- If your meal comes with fries or a creamy cole slaw, request a side salad or fresh fruit instead.
- Don’t feel like you need to consume everything that’s on your plate.
- Use HealthyDiningFinder.com to determine the nutrition content in your meals before you head out the door. We remove the guesswork for you. Our dietitians find the best choices that meet the Healthy Dining nutrition criteria.