She may seem like just a demure little tidbit starting off your meal, but Appetizer is always hoping to steal the show from the main course.
Also known as: Hors d’oeuvres, tapas
Likes: Leisurely paced meals shared with friends and family
Dislikes: Time-crunched, rushed diners
Hobbies: Whetting and sometimes even stealing away your appetite
Find her: Delicately gracing the first plates out of the kitchen, occasionally cozied up to cocktails, passed around tables big and small
She may seem like just a demure little tidbit starting off your meal, but Appetizer is always hoping to steal the show from the main course. She has been wooing people just like you with flavor and the excitement of a petite treat before your meal since she was first served by the Greeks and Romans and is happy to get the conversation flowing around any table before the entrée is served.
While her more decadent and even, sometimes, cheesy side has been known to put a dent in even the healthiest of diets, she can be a flavorful and healthy addition to your meal. She hopes these quick tips will entice you to keep inviting her to your table:
- Feast on fruits and veggies – choose chopped fruit or vegetables and appetizers that feature them, like bruschetta, are naturally lower in fat and calories and high in nutrition.
- Enjoy a little lean protein – classic shrimp cocktail, chicken lettuce wraps, grilled calamari and other lean proteins are a good choice for staving off hunger before a meal.
- Choose sauces and dips wisely – Opt for veggie and bean dips like hummus and salsa instead of creamy dressings and dips like ranch or sour cream.
- Stick to small portions – Serve a small portion of the appetizer onto your plate and skip the seconds to leave room for the meal.
- Skip fried choices – Avoid appetizers that have been breaded and taken for a dip in the fryer to save calories for your entrée, and skip the added fat.
How do you enjoy Appetizer as part of your healthy diet? For more ideas, try these menu choices from participating Healthy Dining restaurants:
- Appetizer: Baba Ghannouj (Small) – (Serves 2) at Pita House (140 calories, 2 g fat). Located in IL.
- Appetizer: Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Flatbread (Serves 2) at Seasons 52 (200 calories, 6 g fat). Located nationwide.
- Appetizer: Whole Wheat Empanadas at Sergio’s (150 calories, 6 g fat). Located in FL.
- Appetizer: Steamed Mussels (Serves 2 ) at Weathervane Seafoods (170 calories, 8 g fat). Located in ME, MA, NH.
Search for more Healthy Dining menu choices in your area here.