Embrace the sparkle and excitement of New Year’s Day, but don’t forget to set yourself up for success with a realistic plan and motivation that will carry you past the first week or month of the year.
It’s probably no surprise that the number 1 New Year’s resolution is weight loss. If weight loss is on your list of goals for this year, you’re certainly not alone. By some estimates, as many as 40% of resolutions made each January somehow relate to losing weight. If your goal is to lose weight this year, embrace the sparkle and excitement of New Year’s Day, but don’t forget to set yourself up for success with a realistic plan and motivation that will carry you past the first week or month of the year. These tips can help:
- Make it achievable – Often, big weight loss goals can be overwhelming and defeating. Start small with just 5 pounds or simply track your meals as an achievable goal.
- Recognize that this will be a learning experience – you be learning not only new ways to eat and move but also new strategies and choices to help you achieve your goals. Cut yourself some slack along the way if things don’t go just as planned and recognize that learning and changing are processes.
- Make a big deal about the small successes – You remembered to track your breakfast this morning? Woohoo! Made it out for that walk on your break? Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back. Every small step is leading you to big success.
- Find meaningful motivation – Fitting into skinny jeans or losing 10% of your body weight may not be a driving force for you. It’s up to you to find the motivation to achieve your weight loss goals. Perhaps one or more of our favorites will work for you:
- Impressing your doctor with lower cholesterol or blood pressure.
- Managing your diabetes better.
- Taking the power away from your scale.
- Increasing your energy.
- Feeling younger.
- Serving as an example to others.
- Increasing your confidence.
What’s your weight loss goal and motivation this year? How are you planning to stick to your diet resolutions?
HealthyDiningFinder and the wide variety of restaurants and dietitian-recommended menu choices on the site can help you achieve diet and weight loss goals.