By Nikki Anschick
The Mediterranean Diet has earned a reputation for being one of the healthiest diets around, especially for heart health. Many doctors and registered dietitians recommend the Mediterranean Diet as a guideline for clients with various health concerns and weight loss goals to obtain optimal health.
The main components of this diet include plant-based foods, such as fruits, vegetables and legumes, whole grains, fish, olive oil, and nuts. Plant-based food and whole grains are not only high in vitamins and minerals, but they also contain a large amount of fiber, which can help with maintaining a healthy weight and controlling blood sugar.
Another benefit of the Mediterranean Diet is the anti-inflammatory effects that fish, olive oil, and nuts have on the body. You may have heard that red wine plays a large role in this diet, but the key is moderation, meaning 1- 5 oz. glass a day for women and 2- 5 oz. glasses a day for men. Foods that are not commonly consumed in the Mediterranean Diet, and therefore should be limited or avoided, are red meat and processed meats.
In addition to being healthy, the Mediterranean Diet is full of delicious, satisfying options. Below are some recipes to experiment with at home:
1. Lemon Chicken Pita Burgers with Spiced Yogurt Sauce
2. Greek-Flavored Turkey Burgers
3. Greek Dinner Salad
4. Curry Rubbed Salmon with Napa Slaw
5. Olive and Eggplant Dip
6. Mediterranean Tuna Salad
7. Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
8. Mediterranean Portobello Burger
9. Grilled Rosemary-Salmon Skewers
10. Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad
11. Mediterranean Seafood Grill with Skordalia
12. Mediterranean Chickpea Patties
13. Portobello Mushrooms with Mediterranean Stuffing
14. Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes
15. Spinach, Chicken, and Feta Salad
Get the Mediterranean flavor, signature ingredients and health benefits without the work! It’s as easy as searching for a Healthy Dining menu choice like these near you!