The sweetness of sweet potato and maple syrup paired with the unexpected meatiness of mushrooms makes a healthy dinner exciting again.
Makes 4 servings
Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (orange flesh)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cooking spray, as needed
Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
- 1 lb. cremini and/or white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Microwave sweet potatoes until soft; let cool.
- Peel and mash potatoes, using an electric mixer.
- Add milk, egg, and vegetable oil to potatoes; mix.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to potato mixture.
- Mix on low until just blended.
- Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat; coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Use ¼ cup of batter per pancake, ladling into hot skillet.
- Wait until pancake bubbles and looks slightly dry on top before flipping over. While pancakes are cooking, heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in another skillet (do not use non-stick) over medium flame.
- Add quartered mushrooms and toss to coat with oil.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices run.
- Add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar to pan.
- Let simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.
- To serve, stack 2-3 pancakes, alternating with balsamic maple mushrooms.
Nutrition Information (per serving)*:
420 calories, 13 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium,
68 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 30 g sugar, 13 g protein, 1.75 cup vegetables.
* Recipe and nutrition information may vary by products (and/or brands) used.