Take a trip to Maui right in your own kitchen with this island inspired salad.
Makes 4 Servings
- 13 cups (20 oz.) romaine and iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 8 oz. Maui Tacos Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing; see recipe below
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 12 oz. fresh tuna filets, 1” thick, marinated; see recipe below
- 8 oz. canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 oz. mango salsa (purchased)
Tuna Marinade Ingredients:
- Juice of one lime
- 4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 2/3 cups water
Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 8 oz. crushed tomatoes (canned), juice included
- 2 1/2 Tbs. tomato puree (canned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 Tbs. onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 Tbs. white vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 3/4 cups water
Garnish: cilantro leaves (optional)
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a food storage bag or shallow glass dish. Add tuna to marinade and make sure the tuna is well coated; cover or seal bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine all Tomato Vinaigrette ingredients in a sealable container. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to toss the salad. Dressing can be made in advance.
- Lightly spray a grill pan, grill rack, or broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray. Grill tuna, covered, over medium heat for ~5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Dispose unused marinade. Remove tuna from grill and allow it to cool enough so that it can be handled. Once adequately cooled, roughly dice the tuna and set aside.
- Shake or stir Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing. In a large bowl combine the lettuce with enough Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing to adequately coat the lettuce (~8 oz). Toss the salad until dressing is evenly distributed. Note: leftover dressing can be saved for use at a later time.
- Top the dressed salad in a striped fashion beginning with the diced tomatoes, followed by a stripe of chopped tuna, then the mango salsa, and finally the black beans (refer to the picture below).
- Garnish the tuna with fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.
Nutrition Information per serving*:
240 calories, 3.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium,
31 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 17 g sugar, 26 g protein, 3 cups fruits/veggies
* Nutrition information may vary from the item served in the restaurant.