It’s that strawberry time of year again! Farmers’ markets are selling sun-warmed baskets straight from the field, grocery stores are putting out the sale signs, and you may be heading out to your favorite local pick-your-own place to fill your own basket. With all of these juicy, ripe berries around, the only question is: How do you want to enjoy them? This vitamin C-rich fruit is a winner on its own but can also brighten up any and every meal. Here are just a few ideas from Fruits and Veggies More Matters to help you make the most of this spring fruit:
- Balsamic & Berries. Reduce balsamic in a saucepan by bringing to a boil then simmering over low heat until it has a syrup consistency. Top low-fat frozen yogurt with fresh strawberries and finish with a drizzle of the balsamic reduction
- Sweet Greens. Add sliced berries to mesclun greens (or other mixed greens) along with chopped walnuts and a few tablespoons of gorgonzola cheese; then toss with a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette.
- Strawberry Ade. Purée strawberries in a blender and pour into a pitcher with lemon juice, water and a touch of sugar. Serve over ice and garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
- A Light Dessert. Top angel food cake with sliced berries and low-fat vanilla ice cream.
- Sweet & Sophisticated. Make a parfait with low-fat frozen yogurt and sliced strawberries. Alternate in a tall glass and top with a strawberry.
Find other healthy recipe ideas, as well as strawberry nutrition, tips and more here.