If you’re ready to lose weight, whatever your motivation, it may be time to start your own countdown clock. One that starts today! Summer is a great time to kick your diet and fitness routine into high gear with these summer weight loss tips.
In the world of weight loss, there’s often a countdown to summer that begins in January, slows or stalls around February, and then picks up serious speed in April. It seems like everyone wants to lose some weight to look great at the beach when the weather heats up. If you’re ready to lose weight, whatever your motivation, it may be time to start your own countdown clock. One that starts today! Summer is a great time to kick your diet and fitness routine into high gear thanks to:
- Uncrowded gyms. Have you tried to grab a machine at the gym in January?
- Longer days. More time to play more and move more plus all that mood-boosting sunlight!
- Warm weather. Who wants to eat comfort food when you’re busy sweating in those high temps?
Don’t wait for next January to take control of your weight. These tips can help you make the most of the longer days while you get stronger, leaner and more energetic to do more of what you love all year long:
- Fill up on seasonal foods. During the summer months, there is a bounty of fruits and veggies at their peak. Peaches, zucchini, tomatoes, apricots, cherries, peppers and more are inexpensive and flavorful, so it’s the perfect time to take advantage of their low calories and high fiber content.
- Take that after dinner walk or bike ride. With the extra daylight, it’s so much easier to fit some extra movement into your day. Take the time for yourself or use it as an opportunity to catch up with your family or friends at the end of the day while you move those muscles.
- Bring a frisbee, soccer ball or similar to the beach or lake. Make your summer fun more active with a little play. You may even forget you’re getting in more exercise!
- Freeze fruit and enjoy for dessert. What better way to cool off than with a frozen fruit snack or dessert. Keep grapes or watermelon in the freezer to grab or blend up some fruit smoothie popsicles for a treat.
- Find healthier choices at restaurants. On hot days, take advantage of the AC at your favorite restaurant or make the most of the long days by walking to a nearby restaurant to enjoy a healthier choice without the work.
- Hydrate. This is a must all year long, but especially during the summer. Among other concerns like heat exhaustion, dehydration can mimic hunger, causing you to eat more.
- Swim more. Head out to the local pool, lake or beach to cool off while you get in some laps or even just tread water to burn calories and build muscle.
- Take a nap. Getting enough sleep has been linked to a healthy weight. Aim for 7 to 9 hours per night, but don’t be afraid to escape the heat and re-energize with a short nap in the afternoon.
- Grill your meals. Grab some of those seasonal veggies and a lean protein like fish, seafood, chicken or tofu, season with herbs and spices and grill your lunch or dinner for an easy, often healthier meal that won’t heat up the kitchen.
- Stress less. Take more time to mindfully relax during the summer months. Stress has been linked to weight and not-so-great eating habits.
How do you change your routine for a leaner summer? Restaurants can help support your weight loss goals throughout the year when you know how to order the best choices.