You may think you know this sweet and juicy little fruit, but she’d like you to take a second look.
Also known as: Citrus
Likes: Breakfast, cool orchards
Dislikes: Frost, being abandoned in favor of more exotic fruits
Hobbies: Brightening up your average dish or baked good with a dash of juice or peel
Find her: Juiced and gracing the breakfast table, along for the ride as a snack, flavoring salads, meats and more
We’d like to re-introduce you to Orange. You may think you know this sweet and juicy little fruit, but she’d like you to take a second look. She’s been feeling a bit neglected lately with all those “superfood” and out-of-season fruits taking up room in your fruit basket. Just so you know, Orange is a classic, like her produce aisle friend, Apple, and in years gone by, she was considered a rare treat to be appreciated and enjoyed. Quite frankly, she’d like to be appreciated like that again.
Orange makes more than just juice for your breakfast. She adds a bright citrus flavor to meats, fish, salads, baked goods, noodles and just about any other food in the kitchen, and she is a powerful ally in the fight against the winter colds and flu. Here are just a few simple ways this sweet, nutritious and antioxidant-richgem would like to be a part of your diet:
- Chopped and added to salads, Orange can add a sweetness to complement more savory cheeses and nuts along with fiber.
- Use her juice to marinate poultry and seafood for added flavor and vitamin C.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth while you lose weight with sliced orange for a low calorie and filling snack or dessert.
When dining out, be on the lookout for this timeless ingredient across the menu. Here are some menu choices at participating Healthy Dining restaurants that showcase Orange’s talent for livening up any dish:
- Halibut with Orange Mint Basil at Anthony’s Fish Grotto (460 calories, 16 g fat). Located in San Diego, CA.
- Orange Peel Chicken Bowl with Brown Rice at Samurai Sam’s Teriyaki Grill (490 calories, 5 g fat). Located in AZ, CA, IL, MO, MT, NE, NJ, NV, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA.
- Grilled Chicken and Tropical Fruit on Mixed Greens at Bahama Breeze (430 calories, 11 g fat). Located in DE, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, NC, NJ, NV, OH, PA, TN, WA.
- Mediterranean Salad at Busch Gardens Tampa (500 calories, 7 g fat). Located in Tampa Bay, FL.
- Mandarin Chicken Salad at Saladworks (230 calories, 7 g fat). Located in CA, CT, DE, FL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA.
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken at Chili’s (520 calories, 10 g fat). Located nationwide.