Did you make healthy resolutions for New Year’s? Every year, weight loss, nutrition and fitness goals top the list of resolutions for the roughly half of Americans who make them each January. And restaurant meals can sometimes be the biggest challenge.
Don’t leave your success to guessing or chance or let the passion of a New Year’s resolution fade. Make this the year you achieve your health and weight loss goals by building a solid framework to support your efforts. Make your vision of health a reality this year with tools and strategies like these:
Make real-world goals
Let’s be honest: You probably aren’t going to change your life and health habits overnight. Setting overly ambitious and unrealistic goals that turn your life upside down can set you up to fail before you even get started. Instead, identify areas in your diet and lifestyle where you can make small changes that add up to big achievements in the long run:
- Are you a fan of fries? Resolve to share them – and better yet, choose salad or fruit instead, so you are enjoying them a little less instead of giving them up entirely.
- Are you an avid soda drinker? Resolve to cut back and replace at least some of those sodas with water or tea instead of going cold turkey.
- Enjoy regular servings of steak or burgers? Resolve to including leaner meats or more plant-based protein into your diet instead of jumping into a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Take advantage of technology
There is a wealth of information and technology out there to help you achieve your New Year’s resolutions this year. Don’t be afraid to use it and use it often to learn more about nutrition, stay accountable and quickly and easily find the information and healthy choices you need.
- Search for the best menu choices at restaurants near you using HealthyDiningFinder. This web and mobile site helps you find just the right menu choices, from fast food to upscale dining, at restaurants coast to coast – whether your goals pertain to calorie or carb counts or lower fat or sodium content. Tips, insights, recipes, personal stories, reviews and more will help you stay inspired and on track with your healthy eating goals now and throughout the year.
Surround yourself with supporters
Studies show that many of our habits are dependent on the friends and family we spend the most time with. Enlist supporters in your health or weight loss efforts and surround yourself with healthful habits that support those goals.
- When heading out to restaurants with friends and family, aim to stay focused on ordering healthy choices that have high-quality ingredients like lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Swap those after work drinks with friends or co-workers for an after-work walk or game of basketball.
- Plan weekend fun around health to relax, spend time with friends and family and treat yourself to healthy new menu choices in your neighborhood.
Achieving your healthy resolutions by creating new habits for a lifetime won’t happen overnight, but with the right tools and strategies, this will be your year to succeed!
How do you set yourself up for success with the right tools and strategies?