This time of year, many of us are working towards health goals. Often these goals involve weight loss through diet and fitness.
You may be counting calories or making more time for the gym, but why not also feed your resolutions with new recipes that can help you indulge in the fabulous flavors of food while sticking to your health goals?
If you’ve been on the hunt this month for healthy recipes for weight loss, then we have some tasty ones for you from Catherine Katz over at Cuisinicity. Each of these recipes not only serves up something so tempting you’ll wonder why you didn’t try it sooner, but they are all also loaded with waistline-friendly ingredients proven to naturally support your weight loss goals. Dig in!
- Video: Tuscan White Bean Soup: This savory soup is a fiber-packed choice. Loaded with nutrients from greens and tomatoes, it also includes high-in-fiber beans shown to help manage weight. Beans are a good choice for plant-based protein and have a very low glycemic index, which can also help prevent cravings and keep you feeling satisfied longer.
- Grilled Orange Herb Chicken: Say goodbye to boring grilled chicken breast. This recipe adds a new depth of flavor to one of our favorite resolution-friendly lean proteins. Make these chicken breasts (secret weapons in the battle of the bulge) and keep them on hand for a quick and healthy meal, such as a grilled chicken salad or wrap – or simply served over your favorite whole grain.
- Video: Shrimp Arugula Provençal: Lean and green, this dish delivers fiber, protein and a variety of nutrients. In addition, arugula is known to be high in nitrates, linked to improved exercise endurance. Go tackle those CrossFit classes!
- Turkey Mushroom Burger: Instead of giving up foods, take them to the next level with weight-friendly swaps. Adding mushrooms and lentils to this turkey burger adds fiber with fewer calories than a traditional burger, gives it an extra meaty texture and amps up the flavor. Pile it high with veggies and go with a whole grain bun to round out this lean protein choice.
- Video: Walnut-Crusted Wild Salmon: Lean protein and healthy fats pair to help satisfy your hunger and manage cravings with this simple and tasty recipe. Research indicates that omega 3 fatty acids, like those in salmon, can help improve body composition (reduce fat) when combined with a healthy lifestyle.
- Moroccan Tagine (Vegan): Spice up your diet with this choice. A variety of spices, such as thyme, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon, add flavor and variety for a more satisfying meal. In addition, this recipe includes potatoes, which means after chilling, your leftovers will be a source of resistant starch. Recent research suggests that resistant starch may help with weight control.
- Grilled Veggies: Pair these babies with anything and everything to boost fiber, vitamins, minerals and flavor with fewer calories than starchy or fried sides.
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup: Get the satisfying creamy texture without the extra fat and calories in this soup. Starting your meals with a simple soup may help prevent overeating once you move on to the entrée. Stick with lower calorie choices, such as a broth-based, to reap the rewards.
- Rustic Apple Cranberry Galette: Don’t forget to leave room for dessert! This fruit-based recipe can satisfy your sweet tooth and help you meet your recommended (waistline-friendly) fiber intake for the day.
- Almond Quinoa Cake: Hello whole grain sweetness! This cake includes protein-rich quinoa for decadence without the side of guilt. Maintaining a mantra of moderation even when your goal is weight loss can help you stay on track now and for the long term.
What are you favorite recipes for weight loss without giving up flavor?