Weight loss is still big business, but there’s no doubt that how we achieve it is changing. Pills, packaged foods, and fad diets are giving way to good, good food that can also support our weight loss efforts. The focus today isn’t so much the trendy diets for weight loss these days, but that trendy foods that can help with weight loss.
Here are our top ten picks for rising star foods that do just that:
- Ancient Grains: Chances are you’ve been hearing more and more about these old school grains making a comeback. They’re loaded with vitamins, minerals and fab fiber and have been linked to a healthier weight and a reduced risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Take back your carbs and opt for an ancient grain side dish, bread or pasta.
- Avocado: This unique fruit is all the rage right now and can be found in smoothies, soups, sandwiches, salads, and even sizzling on the grill! They can help increase satiety and curb cravings when paired with healthful ingredients like lean protein, fruits and vegetables and whole grains and they taste oh so good making them a smart choice for weight loss! Avocados are high in fat and calories, so moderation is key. A little goes a long way.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower isn’t anything new, but its popularity sure is. Cauliflower rice, buffalo cauliflower bites, cauliflower crust pizza and more are topping Google searches. What makes this vegetable, and so many other vegetables, a good choice for weight loss is that it’s nutrient-dense, high in fiber and naturally lower in calories which means it can fill you up and satisfy without tipping the scales. Like anything else, preparation and added ingredients can make all the difference when it comes to a diet-friendly choice.
- Kombucha: This tangy and fizzy drink is front and center these days but, like ancient grains, it has been around for a very, very long time. Kombucha may not have a direct link to weight loss but can still support your efforts. Filled with probiotics that can help with a healthy gut and optimal digestion, this popular drink can also be a smart swap for other sugary, fizzy drinks. Do check the label to avoid excessive added sugar and calories.
- Chili Peppers – Our taste for spicy food is heating up and that may be good news for waistlines. Studies indicate that capsaicin, a compound in chili peppers, may help boost energy expenditure and could even curb appetite. Burn, baby, burn! Add some red pepper flakes, sliced jalapenos or a dash of hot sauce to your healthy dining choices to boost flavor and support weight loss efforts.
- Pho – Pho and everything to do with it (did somebody say bone broth?) is as popular as ever. This comforting Vietnamese street food is usually loaded with veggies and herbs and spices making it a filling and satisfying choice for a healthier lunch or dinner. Do opt for lean proteins like seafood or chicken when you dine out and try healthier pho recipes like these at home.
- Turmeric – Like kombucha, turmeric hasn’t been directly linked to weight loss, but it can add vibrant flavor to dishes to help satisfy taste buds while you eat your way leaner. If we learned one thing during the cardboard diet food years, it’s that bland and flavorless food makes us crave and cry! Add a dash of turmeric to your diet – eggs to veggies to tea – to treat your taste buds and body well while satisfying hunger and curbing cravings!
- Overnight Oats – This fiber-packed meal is an easy choice for weight loss. Not only does it take the stress out of your morning to help you avoid hunger-fueled donut grabs, but it is also completely customizable to cater to your unique tastes, can help you feel fuller longer and helps to manage blood sugar. It’s not just homemade overnight oats that can make your morning easier and more diet-friendly, either. Restaurants coast to coast have added oatmeal to the menu to help you fill up and stay energized even on the busiest of mornings.
- Jackfruit – This monster fruit is popping up on recipe sites and restaurant menus everywhere! Like other fruits and vegetables, jackfruit is loaded with fiber to help satisfy with naturally fewer calories helping you stay on track with weight loss goals. While it’s gaining popularity as the newest mock meat choice for vegan and vegetarian recipes, it is really a tasty and nutritious way to round out any diet.
- Daikon Radish – Adding variety to your diet, both in flavor and texture, can help keep you on track with weight loss goals. Daikon radish is an easy and low-calorie choice for adding more craving-busting crunch to your meals. With a mild flavor, it can round out a variety of dishes from Chinese takeout to a fruity salad and makes a refreshing mid-afternoon snack when paired with hummus.
What trendy foods are you trying to help with weight loss?
Restaurants are always looking for new ways to help you eat well. When eating out, order dietitian-recommended menu choices like those featured on Healthy Dining Finder to support your health and weight loss goals.