There is a shift happening these days when it comes to eating for a healthy weight. Instead of giving up foods, many Americans are finding ways to balance their food choices for lasting results. This includes leaving room for dessert!
Having your cake and eating it too is as easy as 1-2-3 with tips like these:
- Enjoying healthier choices most of the time – focus on fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains and healthy fats
- Keep an eye on portions – follow MyPlate recommendations to build your plate and keep these portion sizes in mind.
- Swap in better-for-you ingredients – when it comes to treats, look for healthier swaps like whole wheat flour in place of white, fresh fruit in place of sweetened alternatives, and more.
When eating out, finish your dietitian-recommended Healthy Dining meal with a guilt-free sweet treat.
Find more tips to make the best choices here.
At home, whip up one of these healthier (and perfectly portioned) mug cake recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth and stay on track with a healthy weight:
- Sweet Potato Mug Cake – This sweet treat includes veggies, fiber and healthy fats. Now that’s a smart dessert!
- Funfetti Cupcake – Made with applesauce, this tasty treat will appeal to your taste buds and inner kid.
- Chocolate Mug Cake – Classic and clean! This simple pick is made with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt.
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Mug Cake – Peanut butter lovers will fall for this one, made with oatmeal for a dose of healthy whole grains.
- Strawberry Mug Cake – Fitness fans will enjoy this recipe, made with strawberry protein powder. The recipe may take a little extra time, but it will be worth it!
- Chocolate Mug Cake – For the chocolate lovers, here’s another recipe to cure your cravings. Top with slivered almonds or similar nut to add extra nutrition to your treat.
- Oatmeal Cookie Dough Mug Cake – Did somebody say cookie dough? This tasty recipe includes oats and can be made with chocolate chips or raisins.
- Peanut Butter Mug Cake – Super simple and egg free! Whip this one up for a craving busting choice.
- S’mores Cake in a Mug – This recipe combines all the classic flavors for the taste of camping but without the dirt and bugs!
- Weight Watchers 3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake – Extra easy, this recipe can cure cravings stat and with just a few points.
How do you find balance in your diet to maintain a healthy lifestyle? What’s your favorite guilt-free dessert?