Recipe courtesy of Fruits and Veggies More Matters.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken breasts, skinless
- 2 tsp garam masala (Indian seasoning)
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/4 lbs small red potatoes
- 3/4 cup pearl onions
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3/4 cups (6 oz) chicken broth, low-sodium
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, low-sodium, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh thyme, chopped (optional)
- Combine garam masala, garlic salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. Spoon flour on to second dinner plate. Coat each chicken breast with mixture and then dredge well in flour.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat until chicken is golden brown on both sides (approx. 3-4 minutes per side). Cook chicken in two batches if necessary so as not to crowd the pan.
- Place chicken in large slow cooker and add remaining ingredients except for fresh thyme. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving, if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serving)*:
370 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 70 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium,
47 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 33 g protein, 2 cups fruit/vegetables.
* Recipe and nutrition information may vary by products (and/or brands) used.
For a hearty and healthy meal that’s even easier than this healthy slow cooker recipe, enjoy a dietitian-recommended pick like these featured on HealthyDiningFinder.com.