Pineapple Ginger Tofu Over Edamame
Makes 4 Servings
For the Pineapple Ginger Tofu:
- 1 14-oz package of firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. ginger, freshly grated
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- Cooking spray or canola oil for greasing the grill
For the Edamame Salad:
- 1 cup edamame, blanched and shelled
- ¼ cup shallots, chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup pineapple, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1½ tsp. ginger, freshly grated
- 1 small jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed and minced
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste (not included in analysis)
To make the Pineapple Ginger Tofu:
- Cut the tofu into pieces sized to preference. Place the tofu slices on several layers of paper towels and cover with additional paper towels. Let stand for 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally to soak up the liquid.
- Place the pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, canola oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined and transfer to a sealed container.
- Add the tofu pieces to the pineapple vinegar mixture and place in the refrigerator. Marinate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat and coat the grill rack with a light layer of cooking spray or canola oil to prevent the tofu from sticking. Remove the tofu from the pineapple marinade and place it on the grill, reserving the marinade. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the tofu is heated through and has charred marks.
- While the tofu is cooking, strain any tofu bits out of the marinade. Boil the strained marinade in a saucepan for 4-6 minutes over medium-high heat, or until the marinade has reduced by half.
To make the Edamame Salad:
- Place the blanched edamame, shallots, bell pepper and pineapple together in a medium sized bowl. Dress with the red wine vinegar and canola oil. Season with the ginger, jalapeno, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Toss until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
To complete the Pineapple Ginger Tofu over Edamame Salad:
- Divide the salad into 4 portions and top with the slices of the grilled tofu. Drizzle the reduced pineapple marinade over the tofu and enjoy.
Nutrition Information (per serving)*:
240 calories, 14 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium,
18 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 16 g protein, 0.5 cup vegetables.
* Recipe and nutrition information may vary by products (and/or brands) used.
Recipe Courtesy of Meatless Monday