This delightful fruit salad uses its lemon basil vinaigrette as a marinade for the usually cool watermelon, pineapples and tomatoes. Crunchy greens provide a hearty bed for these fresh fruit, grilled smoky sweet.
Courtesy of Meatless Monday
Makes 6 servings
For the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup basil
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the Grilled Pineapple and Watermelon:
- ¼ seedless watermelon, cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ pineapple, cored and cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
- 5 cups watercress or arugula
- Salt and pepper, to taste (not included in analysis)
To make the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette:
- Place the lemon juice, basil, agave nectar, mirin and olive oil in a blender or food processor. Blend until combined. Pour the mixture into a large shallow bowl.
To complete the Grilled Pineapple Watermelon Salad:
- Preheat the grill medium-high.
- When the grill is hot, dip the watermelon, pineapple and tomato slices into the vinaigrette to coat both sides. Place the fruit on the grill and cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Spread the watercress or arugula on 6 plates. Top the greens with the grilled fruit. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette over the fruit, season with salt and pepper (if desired) and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (per serving)*:
150 calories, 5 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium,
28 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 21 g sugar, 3 g protein, 1.25 cup vegetables.
* Recipe and nutrition information may vary by products (and/or brands) used.
For more salads loaded with fruits and veggies, search HealthyDiningFinder.com for dietitian-recommended menu choices