By Rachael Derr, RD
Question: What is the Healthiest Curry?
Curry is one of my favorite foods – spicy, brimming with complex flavors, and great health benefits! From Thai-style curry to Indian-style curry topped with chutney, there are several combinations to explore. When choosing curry while dining out, these are the things you want to look for to order the healthiest curry:
- Lots of Vegetables – The more veggies, the more fiber, vitamins and minerals you will be getting. This fiber keeps you fuller for longer and regulates digestion.
- Whole Grains – Whether choosing brown rice, quinoa or brown rice noodles – it is important to make whole grains a part of your daily diet. Check out these health benefits of whole grains.
- Lean Proteins – Typically, when ordering curry, you have a choice of protein. Stick to chicken breast, shrimp, tofu, lentils or garbanzo beans. These lean proteins don’t contain as much saturated fat, which can have negative effects on heart health.
- Spices! Ginger and turmeric are some of the spices that give curry its distinct flavor. Ginger has chemical properties that may help with nausea and inflammation. Turmeric (the spice that turns curry yellow) is an antioxidant and has been shown to help reduce inflammation.
- Fresh Herbs – Herbs like, cilantro, lemongrass and basil provide antioxidants and phyto-sterols while adding flavor to curry without the added sodium!
Check out Healthy Dining Finder restaurants that offer delicious and nutritious dietitian-recommended curry options in your city.