Question: What should I eat after a workout?
With the weather warming up, you may be gearing up your fitness routine. For the most effective workouts, it’s important to follow a healthy diet before and after exercise. This includes drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated and eating the right foods in the right combinations to prepare for and recover from your workout. Whether you’re carrying an easy to eat snack or enjoying a meal out at a restaurant, there are important recommendations to keep in mind when it comes to what you should eat after a workout.
- The biggest goal of post-workout nutrition is reloading your energy stores. Most experts recommend eating within 30 minutes of completing your workout in order to effectively replace those stores in preparation for your next workout.
- A combination of carbohydrates and protein is considered the most effective meal to recover from a workout. Aim for a 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein, such as:
- Whole-wheat crackers with fruit and cheese
- Hummus and pita bread
- Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato
- Egg and veggie burrito in a whole grain wrap